The CLWAC 120th Annual Open Exhibition
Catherine Lorrilard Wolfe Art Club 120th Open Juried Exhibition @ The National Arts Club
November 29 – December 16, 2016
Catharine Lorillard Wolfe (1828-1887) was a prominent New York philanthropist and art collector, and the only woman among the 106 founders of The Metropolitan Museum of Art. In addition to bequeathing her painting collection to the museum, Ms. Wolfe left an endowment to Grace Church in Manhattan to promote “women’s work.” At the urging of Rector Dr. William Reed Huntington and several parishioners, the Catharine Lorillard Wolfe Art Club was established in 1896. The purpose at the time was to provide aid, counsel and exhibition opportunities to young women artists in New York City.
Through the years, the Club’s focus changed to reflect the members’ professional standing and interests. Today’s members are represented in museums, prestigious art collections, the Who’s Who series in American art and in homes around the world. Their media include oil, watercolor, pastel, graphics and sculpture.
● SOLD (8 x 10 inches, oil on linen)